Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 35: Friday, 4/10/15, Silsbee, TX (73º at 6:30 am) to De Ridder, LA (70º at 2:00 pm) 73 miles, elevation changes: +864/-720.

Today’s Theme: I am in Louisiana for the first time in my life. The 1000+ mile riding adventure across TX is over. I feel cheated because the “Welcome to LA” sign wasn’t there. I did get a picture of the Sabine River that is the boundary line between TX and LA. I also got a picture leaving TX with a handmade cardboard sign by Chandler, our bicycle technician, who took the picture. I hope that you can read the sign. See below.

The roads we rode on today were very smooth and tree lined with no views of any kind until just before reaching De Ridder, where we are staying in the Quality Inn tonight, where the views opened up to fields being farmed. As you can see by the elevation gain/lose over our 73 miles, the land is basically flat. The weather started out very humid, no wind and with a thin overcast. I left early because of the forecast again for thundershowers. A cold front came through at about 9:30 changing the wind direction from the south to the north. We rode pretty much northeast today, thus the wind was an 8 – 10 mph headwind during the last third of the ride.

Biking stats: 73.3 miles ridden in 4 hours and 32 minutes averaging 16.2 mph with a top speed of 25.5 mph.

Highlights:
  • Entering LA. I have never been to LA before. This is my third new state to visit counting NM & TX.
  • Riding at a +17 mph rate until the head wind picked up. I still averaged 16.2 mph over 73 miles that is really good for me. 

There were thunderstorms passing just north of Silsbee, where we stayed last night, when I left at 7 am. The clouds made for a very beautiful early morning sky.


Horses along the way, still in TX.


Leaving TX. Not a great picture, taken by Chandler our bike mechanic. Try to read the cardboard sign he put up.


 The Sabine River, the boundary separating TX and LA.



The landscape as I was entering De Ridder, LA. None of today's landscape was exciting. All the vegetation is very green and lush.


Make it a great day!

John



No comments:

Post a Comment