Friday, April 24, 2015

Day 49: Friday, 4/24/15 Madison, FL (64º at 6:00 am) to High Springs, FL (79º at 3:30 pm) 78 miles, elevation changes: +1283/-1316.

Theme for the day:  Riding the last 40 miles on Rt 90 AND a weather repeat of the last few days. Thus, I repeat what I wrote yesterday, "Hooray for another day! A day made in heaven! It was another glorious day to bike in all ways. I didn’t have to do much to make it a great day because all aspects of the environments I experienced today were exceptional." I am loving this weather.

I started biking at 7:30 am turning right on FL 90 and 40 miles later, I turned left off of FL 90 ending our time riding on Rt 90 in FL. I just quickly calculated that between TX and FL we rode 369 miles on TX 90 and 259 miles on FL 90 for a total of 628 miles on Rt. 90. Rt 90 goes across the entire country.

Bike stats: 77.8 miles ridden in 5 hours and zero minutes of actual biking averaging 15.5 mph with a maximum speed of 27.9 mph.

Highlights of the day:
  • Finishing 628 miles on Rt 90. The sections in FL were beautiful with a very smooth riding surface and almost totally with a wide bike lane. Not so in TX as we bounced along on the chip and seal surface, often with no bike lane and lots of truck traffic.
  • Another exceptional weather day for biking.
  • Seeing more beautiful scenery

About to cross the Suwannee River.


The Suwannee River looking west.


Beautiful blackeyed susans along FL 90 with a ranch and cattle in the background. I saw lots of ranches with steers today. Many sections of the roads we covered with blackeyed susans.


A huge bull at a ranch after getting off FL 90 and getting onto back, country roads.


Another steer in the same pasture as the bull above.



Cabin 4 where I am sleeping the next two nights. Tomorrow is a rest day, thus no blog entry. We are staying at a FL state park in High Springs.


I am going kayaking tomorrow morning on a 7 mile float on a nearby river. I won't bring my iPhone with me in a kayak, thus I won't get any action shots.

Make it a great day!

John






No comments:

Post a Comment