Friday, April 17, 2015

Day 42: Friday, 4/17/15: Ocean Springs, MS (72º at 6:00 am with a dew point of 71º) to Dauphin Island, AL (77º at 2:30 pm with a dew point of 71º) 82 miles, elevation changes: +1418/-1442.

Theme of the Day: Riding into our 7th state, Alabama. It is VERY humid in MS & AL. It was partly cloudy when I began to ride at 7:10 am. At 11 am, just after crossing into AL, it began to rain that lasted an hour, until lunch.  It was enough to get me soaked. The sun was out by 1:30 pm. I finished at 2:30 pm treating myself to a half rack of baby back ribs when I arrived on Dauphin Island.

I love being on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. It is very Cape Cod like. The wind was the same, about 15 - 20 mph from the SW, the humidity was the same as many Cape summer days, and I loved seeing the boats in slips. We are going to have our boat, “Hooray for Another Day” in a slip this summer. It goes into the water on May 1.

Bike Stats: 82.3 miles ridden in 5 hours and 27 minutes of actual biking averaging 15.1 mph with a maximum speed of 30.1 mph.

Highlights:
  • Crossing into AL, the 7th state on the trip. I have been to AL before, thus not a new state for me.
  • Again riding on some beautiful country roads in MS and AL. I truly love biking on these less traveled, back roads. It was really lovely today.
  • Arriving on Dauphin Island in the Gulf of Mexico. The causeway we rode out to the island on reminds me of the Sanibel, FL causeway. I love seeing all the boats. In two weeks our boat will be in the slip at Brewers Fiddler’s Cove. I am very excited about being able to experience the entire Cape Cod boating season May 1 until October 31.
  • Eating a half rack of baby back ribs. They really hit the spot at 2pm after having to eat a grilled McChicken sandwich, fries, and two hot apple pies for lunch. Our lunch SAG stop was in McDonalds. I was cold and soaked after the hour of rain, and I needed to eat. I truly don’t like eating at McDonalds.

We crossed this river in MS before crossing into AL. It rained again very heavily last night. All the rivers and streams in this area are over flowing and flooding the surrounding land. Look how high the water is along the banks. You would be able to canoe into the woods.


The beautiful tree lined road in MS. The pavement was smooth, there was no wind, and it was a pretty gentle up and down hill day. This picture was taken with my iPhone mounted under my fairing while I was riding. With all the rain, the vegetation is very lush.



Crossing into AL. The rain started about 10 minutes after this picture was taken.


Three of my fellow bikers and me outside McDonalds after lunch. We are all soaking wet. I haven't shown you many pictures of members of our group. From left to right: Cecil, me, Joe and Tom.


Shrimp boats as I ride toward Dauphin Island.


The causeway leading to Dauphin Island. It is about 7 miles long. Look for the hump of the bridge way in the distance.


After about 5.5 miles, getting closer to the bridge. You can see Dauphin Island.


Looking back toward the mainland where I had just come from taken on the top of the bridge.


From the top of the bridge looking toward Dauphin Island.


Boats in slips, note that they are all on lifts that keep the boats out of the water.


The Welcome to Dauphin Island water tower.


The beautiful Dauphin Island Park Campground where we are staying for two nights. Tomorrow is a rest day. No blog tomorrow!


Make it a great day!

John





No comments:

Post a Comment