Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I DID IT! Day 52: Monday, 4/27/15 Palatka, FL (74º at 6:00 am with dew point of 73º) to St. Augustine Beach, FL (76º at 2:00 pm with a dew point of 71º) 44 miles, elevation changes: +218/-290.

Theme for the day:  I DID IT! I successfully road Big Blue just under 3000 miles across the southern tier of the US, Coast 2 Coast! I rode every foot of the route. I loved every minute of the trip, even the soaking wet moments while riding in cold rain. What a wonderful feeling of accomplishment to ride through the lobby of the Hampton Inn in St. Augustine Beach, to push Big Blue across the sand, and to dip Big Blue’s front tire into the Atlantic Ocean. It was a day made in heaven! Hooray for Another Day!

Bike stats: 44 miles ridden very slowly from 7:30 am on an extremely humid day until 2 pm when I dipped Big Blue’s front time in the Atlantic Ocean.

Highlights of the day:
  • Riding the last 44 miles of our just under 3000 miles Coast 2 Coast trip and dipping Big Blue’s front tire into the Atlantic Ocean. What a fabulous feeling of accomplishment!
  • Having Joan, Pinky (Joan’s sister) and Martha (Pinky's friend), and Peter (Joan’s brother) and GiGi (Peter's friend) at the finish cheering me on: "The Holden Fan Club"

Before the SAG stop at mile 22 (I finally found out that SAG stands for "Support and Gear") I passed a farm and couldn't help myself taking two more farm shots of goats and horses.



Dave Moss, "Coach" riding his trike recumbent, taken through my fairing while riding.  We rode a good portion of the last morning together. I've been meaning to show you a trike recumbent. There were three ridden on this trip.


Selfie at the St. Augustine City Limits. We're getting closer to the finish line.


Our group of Coasters eating lunch at the A1A Ale Works in the old section of St. Augustine 4 miles from "the front wheel dipping in the Atlantic Ocean ceremony" spot. You can imagine how excited we all are.


The Welcome to St. Augustine Beach sign 1.4 miles from dip in. The second picture is my fellow Coast-2-Coast group of Coasters just before we all lined up single file to ride to the Hampton Inn. Can you find me? It is a fellow Coaster with his back to you on the right in the first picture. Almost there!



Dipping Big Blue into the Atlantic. I had tears in my eyes. I worked really hard for this moment. I rode Big Blue just under 3000 miles on this Coast 2 Coast trip, and since I first started riding Big Blue full-time on Cape Cod in the fourth week of June 2014 training for this ride, I have ridden her 7580 miles. We are one!


View from above of Big Blue's front tire dipping into the Atlantic Ocean.


The Holden Fan Club toasting my successful Coast 2 Coast ride. From left to right: Peter (Joan's brother), GiGi, (Peter's friend), Joan, me, Pinky (Joan's sister), and Martha (Pinky's friend).


The Holden Fan Club with their signs of support and celebration!

Joan and me!


All the Coasters on the Atlantic beach after the front tire dipping in ceremony. Can you find me?


 Thank you, each of you, who have followed me on my Coast 2 Coast trip through this blog. I could feel your love and support each and every day. It meant the world to me. I couldn't have done it without you, especially my family, Joan; Ashley, Tim and Annabelle; Jennifer; Abigail; and Will. A HUGE shout out to Abigail and Mitch Williams, her boyfriend, and to Carol and JD Williams, our wonderful friends from TX, for traveling to spend time with me on different rest days two weeks apart. These two visits were timed perfectly and REALLY picked me up and kept me going at times that I really needed it.

I love you all! 

Make it a great day!

John



4 comments:

  1. Awesome!.....but do not expect me doing it!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, What an honor it was to be at the finish with family and friends celebrating the end of your epic cross country journey. You are a true inspiration! Congrats to you and the rest of the pack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next stop, Tierra Del Fuego--it's downhill from here, right? Well done John and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete