Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day 39: Tuesday, 4/14/15, St Francisville, LA (70º with light rain at 5:45 am) to Franklinton, LA (68º at 3:30 pm) 88 miles, elevation changes: +2628/-2631.

Today’s Theme: RAIN: thunderstorm type rain. The thunderstorms started at 6:45 am, just before our 7 am breakfast. I was off in the rain at 7:30. We had 88 miles to ride. I couldn’t wait for the rain to stop or I’d finish after dinner. All that happens when you ride in the rain is that you get wet. I was soaked within an hour. Luckily it was 70º when we started. I just kept riding following my normal daily bike regime. The thunderstorms let up at 11 am, but started again at 11:45 until 2:30 pm. I took one picture of big blue outside the restaurant and one picture through the fairing. Luckily, there were no great sites that I missed seeing.

Bike stats: 87.8 miles ridden in 5 hours and 55 minutes of actual biking averaging 14.8 mph with a maximum speed of 27.7 mph.

Highlights:
  • Finishing the 88 mile day in the rain. We have now biked 2200 miles.
  • Yesterday’s dinner: a crawfish feed
  • Yesterday afternoon visiting the Myrtle Plantation in St. Francisville with Ab and Mitch after eating lunch with them at the famous Magnolia Cafe.


The rain on the fairing as I bike along today. It really poured some of the time. I am able to ride at a normal rate of speed in the rain. The rain doesn't slow me down. Note my average rate for the day AND with quite a bit of elevation change.




Big Blue outside the restaurant as the rain poured down. Big Blue was under an overhang.


The Myrtle Plantation. Ab, Mitch and I took the tour yesterday after eating lunch at the famous Magnolia Cafe.


The crawfish feed before we all dug in and started eating. I must have eaten at least 100. I really love crawfish.


I am hoping for less rain tomorrow. It must be payback after having 33 days of beautiful riding weather. I just take one day at a time.

Make it a great day!

John



No comments:

Post a Comment