Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 47: Wednesday, 4/22/15 Marianna, FL (55º at 6:00 am CDT) to Tallahassee, FL (84º at 3:00 pm EDT) 76 miles, elevation changes: +2409/-2433.

Theme for the day:  I feel that I am truly back east. At mile 35 today, I passed into the Eastern Daylight Savings Time Zone when I crossed the Chattahoochee River. Again it was a day with exceptional weather! I started at 7am. We had breakfast a half hour early, 6:30 am, anticipating losing the hour traveling into the EDT zone. 60% of the trip was on FL State Route 90. The remainder of the ride were on roads used to pass north of Tallahassee. It was a day of many turns; 21 to be exact. It was also a day with more hills; see the elevation gains and losses listed above. It was much like the rolling hills in Maine. I saw my first real farm along FL 90, a tomato farm. All the vegetation is green and lush from all the rain. It is a HUGE change from the western deserts five weeks ago.

Bike stats: 75.6 miles ridden in 4 hours and 57 minutes of actual biking averaging 15.3 mph with a maximum speed of 33.4 mph.

Highlights of the day:
  • Passing into the Eastern Daylight Savings Time zone and feeling that I am now truly back east.
  • Enjoying another gorgeous day while riding on a smooth road. There was a 3 - 5 mph tailwind that helped a little. It was another cloudless day.
  • Seeing my first true farm, a tomato farm along FL 90. All I have seen are cattle ranches since the Imperial Valley back in AZ.
The tomato farm along FL 90. This picture doesn't do it justice. It's at least a half mile long and quarter mile deep. Whomever drove in all those tomato stacks worked really hard at a very boring, redundant job.  I can't imagine how long it will take to tie up the tomato branches.


Looking north from the bridge over the Chattahoochee River. The dam creates Seminole Lake that borders GA and FL. Georgia is just on the other side of the dam. I passed into the Eastern Daylight Savings Time Zone when I crossed the bridge.


Looking south on the bridge over the Chattahoochee River down the river. It has rained a huge amount in this area the last week. The water is tearing down the river from the dam. The river is overflowing and flooding into the woods.


Make it a great day!

John




No comments:

Post a Comment