Monday, March 16, 2015

Day 10, Monday, 3/16/15, Oro Valley (Northern Tucson), AZ (54º at 6:30 am) to, Tucson, AZ (81º at 3:50 pm) 47 miles, elevation change: +1698/-414

Today was the day of turns. Our goal was to get from the northern part of Tucson to the southern part. Bubba Barron, the leader and owner of Coast 2 Coast Bicycle Tours sent us on a route to stay off as many major roads in Tucson as possible and onto as many bike trails as possible of which Tucson has many. 28 turns later and I didn’t get lost. YIPPEE! It was great to have a day of only 47 miles. The ESE wind kept blowing today, but we only had to ride into it the last 20 miles. I hope that it isn't blowing for tomorrow's 73 mile day to Tombstone, AZ. Tonight we are staying at the Adventure Bound RV Resort.

The big attraction to me was the “bone yard” of Air Force planes that we rode by and a visit to the Pima Air & Space Museum.  See the photos below.

Yesterday afternoon I took a hike of about 4 miles up the hills behind the Catalina State Park. I took pictures of some cacti  and views that I‘ve included below.  I also got my first sighting of a rattle snake.

Jen, my second daughter who teaches 2nd grade at the East Palo Alto Charter School, had her class send me a “Have a great trip Mr. Holden” cheer before I left for the trip.  I’ve been meaning to share it. Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9y81V_9wo

Yesterday's hike, beautiful cacti.




 

The rattle snake that was behind the bathroom at the Catalina State Park.


Bone yard of Air Force planes in Tucson. Go to Goggle maps and select the Tucson Airport. The bone yard isn't far from the airport and you can see all the planes.


Entrance to Pima Air & Space Museum with pictures of a few planes.





The Adventure Bound RV Resort.



Make it a great day!


John

No comments:

Post a Comment