Sunday, March 8, 2015

Day 2: Alpine to Live Oak Springs, 32 miles with 3346 ft of elevation gain



It was 39º when I woke up at 5:45 this morning. We eat breakfast at 7am.  I am always hungry burning so many calories. By 8:15 I was on Big Blue heading for Live Oak Springs.

Today was a short mileage day – tomorrow we ride 63 miles – because it was a day of multiple, long (several over two miles long) uphill climbs as we work our way east through the CA mountains. There are very few roads in the mountains suitable for biking. We rode 4 miles on the Interstate 8 breakdown lane, which is allowed. We have been very fortunate on the weather with two days in a row without a cloud in the sky. The great weather makes such a difference on your personal morale and spirit.

I completed my ride at 12:30pm. My legs felt great. All my training definitely has paid off as I have watched other riders really struggle up the long, quite steep hills that we rode today on Old Highway 80. There is no great campground in Live Oak Springs; in fact, there is barely anything in Live Oak Springs. We left our bikes locked up beside the general store where we finished our ride and were shuttled back to the Alpine campground where we stayed last night. I was back by 1:30pm, showered and am sitting outside the campground pool where the Wi-Fi is available. Here are a few pictures of the day. The mountains here are gorgeous.

The Alpine Valley where our campground is located:
  

After the first 5 miles of riding:


Looking east back toward San Diego:


The view earned after 24 miles of riding:



Make it a great day!


John

1 comment:

  1. John, in May 2009, also 63 YOA, A friend and I biked from Seaside, OR, heading to Yorktown, VA. I pedaled a Burley Jett Creek long frame bent similar to Big Blue. We were unsupported, so I pulled a BOB knockoff trailer. I also used a faring. My trailer broke down in Henderson, KY, So I decided to move my goal from Yorktown to Henderson where my wife picked me up from florence, KY. My friend continued with an even older English couple, and they all made it to the Atlantic. I've since sold the long frame, and bought a CruzBike Q559, and am yearning to take another long ride at 70. I'm enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete