Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 23: Sunday, 3/29/15, Sanderson, TX (55º at 6:30 am) to Comstock, TX (90º at 4:30 pm) 82 miles, elevation changes: +2605/-4005

It was a long day! I was off at 7:50 am trying to get as far a possible before a predicted headwind set in. I followed my plan: bike 30 minutes then rest, stretch, and drink half a water bottle. I kept this up each half hour of biking until I hit a SAG stop, then I’d eat fruit, a power bar and drink Gatorade. My plan was a good one. I got to the lunch spot in Langtry, TX 60 miles out, at 1pm. The headwind didn't really materialize, HURRAY! There was a great deal of riding up then down, then up then down all day long. We crossed the Pecos River at mile 72. We are staying in the Seminole Canyon State Park. It is beautiful here. It is a our first campground with no cell service, but the park does provide wifi; it is very slow. I'll post this blog on Monday.
Bike stats: 82.2 miles ridden in 5 hours and 49 minutes of actual biking averaging 14.1 mph with a maximum speed of 34.6 mph.
Highlights:
  • Finishing a long day with lots of power in my legs. I have gotten very strong and was able to push up the hills right to the end of the riding day.
  • Leaving the TX high desert prairie and beginning to transition to the TX hill country. There are more trees and green grass.
  • Stopping at the Judge Roy Bean Museum in Langtry, TX. Judge Roy Bean was the famous Justice of the Peace who kept law and order west of the Pecos River.
  • Crossing the Pecos River
  • Camping at the beautiful Seminole Canyon State Park.
No more mountains all around me as I ride. The country isn't flat, it is rolling hills, but much different than the first three weeks of the trip. We are leaving the desert. This picture is looking back west at about 20 miles after leaving Sanderson, TX.

Judge Roy Bean's Saloon, the famous Justice of the Peace west of the Pecos River in Langtry.

Looking east at the 70 mile mark.


Looking west at the 70 mile mark.


The Pecos River, looking north after crossing. We are beginning to see water. We have ridden in the desert from San Diego to here.


The view from my tent at the Seminole Canyon State Park. It is still desert, but the landscape is changing.

Make it a great day!
John



No comments:

Post a Comment