Thursday, March 5, 2015

Why ride a recumbent bike?

It's all about comfort and riding with the least pain possible for 2975 miles from Ocean Beach, CA to St. Augustine, FL. My pain threshold is high, but I am truly a wimp when it comes to constant muscle pain that I still experience in my right shoulder after riding an upright bike for years while holding up my head leaning over the handle bars. I don't experience this pain on Big Blue, an Easy Racer, Tour Easy Adventure recumbent bike. I sit on a comfortable, foam filled seat with a nice messed backrest. I can ride in shorts, not biking shorts, no chamois wedgies. At all times, I get complete blood flow throughout my entire body unlike my experience over time on an upright bike. I have a great pack that attaches to my seat frame in which I can carry lots of useful stuff to support my ride: bike tools, spare inner tubes, clothing, food and drink. I had a dynamo hub installed in the front wheel that powers a light and has a USB port so that I can charge my phone while riding that I have mounted under my fairing. The fairing is great at slipstreaming me along into the wind and helping catch the wind when it is pushing me down the road. I don't have to wear bike gloves. I have made the choice to use toe straps rather than clip-in pedals that gives me easy flexibility to mount and dismount Big Blue. I have ridden Big Blue 4635 miles since late May when I got it.  I love it! Big Blue and I are perfectly matched for success for this cross country ride.

Make it a great day!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment