Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Day 12, Wednesday, 3/18/15, Tombstone, AZ, (57º at 6:15 am) to, Douglas, AZ (57º at 3:00 pm) 50 miles, elevation changes: +2366/-2834.

Today we rode over the highest elevation of the trip, 5820 feet. I did it during a rain squall just before heading into the tunnel that takes you through the mountain to Bisbee, AZ.  See the photos below. It was a day of two firsts on Big Blue: the highest elevation we have travelled over together and the first time I have ever ridden her in the rain. (Our string of 11 days in a row with no rain had to end.) It stopped raining once I got into Bisbee where I ate lunch. Bisbee is a famous copper mining town.  Later in the afternoon, after eating lunch in Bisbee, I road downhill for 24 miles to Douglas, AZ riding in the pouring rain the last 12 miles. Big Blue is excellent in the rain. The fairing and the fenders keep me reasonably dry except that I am sitting out in the rain. I rode wearing a rain jacket and no other protection from the rain.

We are spending the night at the famous Gadsden Hotel in Douglas. I’m not quite sure why it is famous, but it is nice to be in a hotel on a rainy night. Tomorrow we ride to Rodeo, NM, the third state on the trip.

Sunrise in Tombstone: Isn't the saying, Red sky in morning, sailor take warning, red sky at night, sailor's delight." Replace "sailor" with "cross country biker".



The view in the morning as I worked my way uphill to highest elevation. The rain clouds are coming.


Entering and exiting the tunnel right at the highest elevation of 5820 ft. I took these while riding. My phone is mounted in a water tight protector on Big Blue under the fairing, and I can take pictures as I ride.



Old copper mine in Bisbee. This hole is 840 feet deep. The mine is no longer in use.


Plaque and statue in Bisbee commemorating the copper miners. The plaque is below the statue.



The lobby in the famous Gadsden Hotel. I'll leave it to you to discover why it is so famous.


Make it a great day!

John




No comments:

Post a Comment