Thursday, March 12, 2015

Day 5, Wednesday, 3/11/15: Yuma, AZ (55º at 5:30 am) to Dateland, AZ (82º at 3:45 pm) 70 miles, elevation change: +897/-670

The day started with an amazing sunrise.



I am SO proud of myself. I rode Big Blue 70 miles today, the farthest I have ever ridden since getting it. (her/him?) I left Yuma at 7:45am and arrived in Dateland at 2:10 pm. The Imperial Valley is so flat with mountains all around the borders. It is great for biking. The last 12 miles we biked on Interstate 8 because there is no other road to bike on. I averaged 20 mph the whole distance. (I did have a tail wind that helped. Wind is a huge factor when riding your bike.) There are only three showers at the campground we are staying at tonight, an RV park with Interstate 8 on one side and the main railroad line on the other.  (Freight trains travel through about one an hour.) I was one of the first few to arrive. I love my shower at the end of each long workout day on the bike. It was great to take it just when I arrived. (I don't have a competitive bone in body!)

The most interesting aspect of today’s ride was seeing vegetables harvested. 90 – 95% of the fresh vegetables grown in the US during the winter months are grown in the Imperial Valley. One reason I chose the southern cross-country bike route is to see a part of the country I have never experienced before. The Imperial Valley is so different than any part of the US that I have ever visited.

Cauliflower harvest.

Romaine lettuce harvest.


The four pictures below were taken from the same spot looking north, east, south and west.

North:


East:

South:

 West:




Make it a great day!


John

No comments:

Post a Comment