Sunday, March 1, 2015

Preparing for John's 2015 Cross Country Coast-2-Coast bike trip

In six days my Coast-2-Coast bike trip lead by Bubba Barron with 39 other "Coasters" will begin from Ocean Beach, CA at 9am Saturday, 3/7, after dipping the rear tire of Big Blue, my recumbent bike that I will ride, in the Pacific Ocean. I will post to both Facebook and this blog. As a novice blogger, I'll post a few pictures each day along with a short summary of the day -- and I will keep each one short.

Since February 1, Joan and I have been renting a house in Cardiff by the Sea so that I could train for the trip, but more importantly, to visit Ash, our oldest daughter, Tim, our son-in-law, and Annabelle, our granddaughter, who live 15 minutes away in Carlsbad. I have ridden Big Blue over a 1000 miles during February. It was wonderful to get outside after training each day in December and January in the basement of our Cape Cod house on the magnetic trainer looking outside at winter cold while watching movies and the first two seasons of Homeland. The hills of southern CA have been challenging; I am ready to ride.

In upcoming entries:

  • Why did John decide to bike across country?
  • When will John reach the highest elevation in the US?
  • Will all 40 Coasters make it across country?
  • What is it like for a 65 year old to live in a tent?
  • Other ideas for a blog? Please leave any requests in the comments.

Make it a great day! John

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Looks like I might have the first comment. Good luck to you and your butt. I would suggest Instagram as well as FB and blog - it's so quick and simple to do it as you ride and you can do the other 2 at night. I will be following closely. Can't wait to hear the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can hardly make it to our mailboxes due to snow drifts here on the east coast. So sail on , hombre

    ReplyDelete