Thursday, March 12, 2015

Day 4, Tuesday, 3/10/15: Calexico, CA to Yuma, AZ 64 miles +854/-646 ft of elevation change.

It was another beautiful day in Southern CA. We started in Calexico. I left at 7:45 with the temperature 55º. Yesterday was the day of extremes, today was the day of flat traveling through the Imperial Valley in CA, the Imperial Sand Dune Desert and entering AZ just outside Yuma. I was so focused on the directions and not getting lost, I didn’t see the “Welcome to AZ” sign that was on a median strip in the center of the road. I was looking for it on the right where I have traditionally seen welcoming signs. Ive now lost my chance to have a complete set of state welcoming signs. Oh well, live and learn, as they say.
It was so flat that I rode the first 25 miles in one hour and 40 minutes. We ate lunch at the “Center of the World” in Felicity, CA. The man who invented the square parachute has created the Center of the World. (http://www.felicity.us/center.html) See the pictures below. I received a certificate stating the I have stood at the official center of the world. I leave it to you to investigate The Center of the World.
After lunch, we rode over 8 miles of the roughest road that we will experience of this trip. I have never bounced so much on Big Blue. It was 88º when I arrived in Yuma. We are staying in the National Guard Armory all sleeping on our air mattresses on the armory floor, as we did last night on the gym floor at Calexico Mission School.
The gym at Calexico Mission School


We rode through the Imperial Sand Dune Desert.


The Official Center of the World, Felicity, CA. The official center of the world is located in the pyramid.


Here I am standing at the Official Center of the World with my certificate authenticating this unique experience.


Looking out of the pyramid to the chapel on the hill at the Official Center of the World.


Looking from the chapel back toward the pyramid. I leave it to you to investigate and discover what the granite triangular forms are used for. I have to say, this is a pretty weird place.


It is the second day in a row with no internet, thus my late postings of this blog.

Make it a great day!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment