Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 16, Sunday, 3/22/15, Columbus, NM, (48º at 6:30 am) to El Paso, TX (73º at 2:00 pm) 77 miles, elevation changes: +1024/-1354.

We made it to the HUGE state of TX. I have never been to TX before today. I was off at 7:50 on a beautifully clear day with a tail wind pushing us along at 7 – 12 mph. During one 5-mile section I averaged 22.1 mph. There were virtually no cars and trucks on Sunday in this very desolate portion of the NM prairie. We didn’t see a house until we were 10 miles from the hotel in El Paso.

Highlights:
  • Arriving in TX.
  • Averaging my fastest biking speed yet on the trip. Here are today’s biking stats: 77.4 miles ridden in 4 hours and 41 minutes averaging 16.7 mph. The tail wind really helped.
  • Yesterday, Saturday, 3/21/15 was a rest day. The entire group was shuttled to Puerto Palomas, Mexico, just south of Columbus where we ate lunch at the Pink Store. 

Here are some pictures:

Looking back toward Columbus, NM about 16 miles out. Only a few cows.


Another view of the prairie. It is extremely remote country.


It was so remote, we had to have a SAG stop for lunch.


Reaching the TX border.


Yesterday's lunch at the Pink Store in Puerto Palomas, Mexico with members of the Coast-2-Coast group. I took this picture. My chicken fajitas lunch shown at the bottom was excellent.


Our Coast-2-Coast group in front of Pancho Villa's statue in Puerto Palomas. I am at the left rear row. I hope that I'm not boring you too much with these pictures.


Make it a great day!

John



No comments:

Post a Comment