Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day 13, Thursday, 3/19/15, Douglas, AZ, (48º at 6:00 am) to, Rodeo, NM (61º at 3:00 pm) 59 miles, elevation changes: +1256/-1163.

I set out this morning in a light rain in Douglas, AZ and rode out of the rain after about a half hour. It was a very uneventful 59-mile day, cloudy and cool to the Painted Pony Resort just outside Rodeo, NM.

Highlights:
  • I rode into New Mexico, my 3rd state. I took a picture of the “Welcome to Arizona” sign so that I’d have a complete set since I missed doing that when I rode into Yuma.
  • We began a long decent after 26 miles of uphill. I averaged 20 mph for a 15-mile stretch going downhill with the wind at my back. I loved it!
  • AZ state route 80 that we rode on for all but three miles today was the most desolate road I have ever ridden on. There we times when no car came by for 10 minutes at a time.
  • I rode by a plaque commemorating Geronimo, the last Apache chieftain.
  • I made it to the Painted Pony Resort where we are staying before the big thunderstorm hit. I am sitting in the hanger where the men are staying with the rain beating down outside.
  • I visited the Chiricahua Desert Museum in Rodeo about 5 miles before the resort. It has a live collection of every type of rattlesnake that exist.
 Tomorrow is a 95-mile day, my first ever to ride that far on Big Blue. “I think I can!”

 Pictures:

The type of view I had throughout the day traveling along AZ State Route 80.


I made it to New Mexico.


I had to add the welcome to Arizona sign that I missed when riding into Yuma.


Hanger at the Painted Pony Resort where I will sleep tonight. It was great to get there just before the thunderstorm hit.


Plaque commemorating Geronimo.


Pretty ground cover yellow flowers coming out on the prairie floor.


Make it a great day!


John

1 comment:

  1. Looking good! The blog reminds me of our family car trips thru that area as a kid and after Alison and I got married. Desolate is right. I remember lying down on the blacktop at night because it was still warm, and never having to move for a car.

    ReplyDelete